6/16/2009

After a few weeks.....

Clearly, I needed a break. The more I tuned into the political punditry and sideshow, the more hostile and inconsolable I became. This blog was originally intended as an outlet, as therapy for my helpless frustration as someone who had only recently been politically awakened by the campaign of President Obama and hated what I, in part, allowed to happen with my ambivalence and non-participation in the American political process. Instead my anger only grew. The more educated I become politically, the more I tuned into the plight of the world around me, the more I cared about the suffering of people I will never meet, the more I raged against injustice and double-standards and inequality, the deeper and deeper I sank. Until this moment, I wasn't sure if I would continue writing here. The world we live in is a terrible and unjust place and we all share equal responsibility for that. But, I didn't want my share. During these past few weeks I wanted to forget I ever heard Barack Obama speak about the fierce urgency of now and that I had ever read Andrew Sullivan. I wanted to go back to the times when I didn't give a shit, when I would proudly denounce my right to vote because votes don't count in the ghetto where I come from and back to a happier time when making money to buy stuff was all that mattered. And then there was an election in Iran. And I know I can't go back to be that person, I can't be silent, even if no one is listening. Kids are dying in the street right now in Iran for what they believe in. The very least I can do is crawl out from under my bed and struggle to understand how I can make pennance and peace with our world as it is today. If my only contribution is the money I have spent, then I have failed. This video is largely responsible for this post and an overwhelming debt of gratitude is owed to Andrew Sullivan by me for all of his coverage and most importantly, his tireless effort on his blog at http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment