5/11/2009

Who Polices the Press Cont...

What does it say about the press that there is more coverage and more outrage over this joke by Wanda Sykes:
"Rush Limbaugh said he hopes this administration fails, so you're saying, 'I hope America fails', you're, like, 'I don't care about people losing their homes, their jobs, our soldiers in Iraq'. He just wants the country to fail. To me, that's treason. "He's not saying anything differently than what Osama bin Laden is saying. You know, you might want to look into this, sir, because I think Rush Limbaugh was the 20th hijacker. But he was just so strung out on OxyContin he missed his flight."
Then there was about the actual quote by Limbaugh that prompted the joke (full transcript here) :
So I'm thinking of replying to the guy, "Okay, I'll send you a response, but I don't need 400 words, I need four: I hope he fails."
TNC makes a great point:
Moreover, I think people need to remember the context. Sykes belongs to three groups which Rush has made a career maligning--blacks, gays and women. I don't have time to dig up the Rush-file. But I'm willing to bet that if take together all the abhorrent things Limbaugh has ever said about those three groups and measured them against Sykes few minutes, it wouldn't be a contest.
Wanda is an easy target and she can't fight back. On the other hand Rush is now the great untouchable so much so that its become akin to someone in the rap music industry criticizing Jay-Z or in the movie business criticizing Will Smith. Serious CLM. P.S. The best part of the night was when Michael Steele actually looked proud of Obama making fun of his pretending to be ignorant routine. I don't think he got the joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment